We will be viewing the "Beyond Consequences Live" DVD seminar from Heather Forbes, a US-Licensed Clinical Social Worker and parent of two children adopted from Russia. She incorporates current neuroscience concepts to help explain the thinking and perspective of children whose regulatory systems have been compromised through traumatic experiences. This introductory presentation will cover topics such as:
- The impact of trauma, neglect, and attachment difficulties on the brain and emotion regulation.
- Connecting with even the most difficult and resistant child.
- Helping a child at his/her core emotional level during times of defiance, aggression, and disrespect.
- Understanding why children with trauma histories are sensitive to stress.
- How to help children regulate their emotions through attachment.
- Recognizing elements of your own reactivity that can be beyond your awareness or understanding.
- Defeating negative and contradictory beliefs about a child’s future.
- Understanding fears about implementing a parenting and relational model that does not center around consequences or control.
- Examining the fear behind statements like, “You can’t make me” or “You’re not my real mom/dad.”
The DVD incorporates many role-plays to demonstrate the skills discussed. Heather Forbes's presentation delivers an empowering, educational and entertaining message, using her ability to speak from the heart through her personal experiences and to engage parents and professionals with humor and accessibility.
Additional discussion will be facilitated by Dr. Erica Liu Wollin, a Clinical Psychologist and Adoptive Parent working with adoptive families and providing attachment and trauma-related consultation to NGO's and organizations working with children from challenging backgrounds.
Whether you are a parent, caregiver, or a professional working in an NGO, agency, school, group home, or private practice, you will find this seminar useful for your work with parents, children, adolescents and/or families.
Contact | Financial Reports | Legal | GPO Box 8896 Central Hong Kong | © Adoptive Families of Hong Kong