AFHK Outreach Coordinator
Adoptive Families of Hong Kong (AFHK) is a nonprofit registered charity comprised of families from diverse social, economic and cultural backgrounds, along with adult adoptees and professionals brought together by the common bond of adoption and/or foster care.
Formally established in 1993 the organization provides resources, information, support and social activities to families at all stages of the adoption process and to professionals and others involved in providing adoption services as well as a resource for adoptees and birth families. AFHK activities are currently conducted mostly in English with some limited Cantonese events.
Adoptive Families of Hong Kong is looking for an enthusiastic and dynamic part time Outreach Coordinator who is able to support our organizational mission. The position requires approximately 8-10 hours per week and the ability to work from home or a location of your choice. This position reports to the Chair of AFHK.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Event Support: Sourcing supplies, set up, assisting with registration or food and book sales, tear down, taking care of guest speakers and assisting with hospitality. Responsible for attending all events including daytime monthly discussions and parent support meetings, evening monthly discussions, and family/social events (i.e. Family Picnic, Dim Sum Lunch, Holiday Party, etc.) Work closely with each event planning committee to oversee logistics and assist with the planning of the events.
Organisational Support: Liaise and communicate with outside organizations (ie NGO’s, clinics, educational institutions, and other charities) which overlap with AFHK in mission or relevance.
Membership Support: Keeping membership lists and database updated, following up on membership enquiries, reviewing and approving membership applications.
Volunteer Support: Field and respond to volunteer inquiries, communicate AFHK’s volunteer needs to potential volunteers, facilitate a match of skills to needs, and oversee that the match proves to be a mutually beneficial relationship. The Outreach Coordinator also serves as the liaison to some volunteers and develops a working relationship with them in order to complete tasks and projects. AFHK focuses primarily on stewarding volunteers from its membership base as members tend to be the most reliable and active sources of volunteering.
Work closely with the Administrative Coordinator on planning of events, assistance with communication for various outside inquiries, assist with
administrative duties as needed.
Attend monthly Steering Committee meetings on Tuesday evenings.
Other duties as assigned.
Prior experience with or understanding of charities or non-profit organizations, or familiarity with adoption, foster care, child trauma, or special needs, or a background in Social Work or related field
Strong interpersonal communication and customer service skills
- Technical skills, including knowledge of web, social media, and computer applications
- Independent, proactive, self-starting, and well organized work habits
- Strong interpersonal communication and customer service skills
- Strong spoken and written English. Cantonese an advantage but not essential.
- Prior experience with or understanding of charities or nonprofit organizations, or familiarity with adoption or foster care.
The employment terms are as an independent outside service provider. As such the candidate needs to have their own internet connection and computer to access cloud-based applications.
The candidate needs to have the unrestricted right to work in Hong Kong and a suitable appropriate Hong Kong visa.
- Hours: Approximately 8 - 10 hours per week with some compulsory daily tasks, as well as other tasks which can be done on a weekly basis. Flexible hours with occasional evening and weekend requirements to attend committee meetings or assist at events.
- Salary: HKD 100-120 per hour, depending on experience.
1) introductory letter
2) CV and
3) The contact information (email, phone number, and relationship to you) for two people willing to be contacted and serve as references,
including at least one former work supervisor.
Please submit complete applications via email to:
Ms. Louise Garnaut
You may find further information about our organization at www.afhk.org.hk.