Podcast and Discussion: Raising Resilient and Self-Disciplined Kids
How do we raise kids to be resilient and self disciplined? We will be listening to a Creating A Family podcast with guest speaker Dr. Robert Brooks, Psychology Professor at Harvard and co-author of Raising Resilient Children and Raising a Self-Disciplined Child.
- What do we mean by a “resilient” child?
- The importance of accepting children for who they really are, not who we want them to be.
- When do you accept a child’s behavior and when do you try to change it?
- Is temperament genetic?
- The idea of “goodness of fit”
- How to handle a untruthful child
- Is “helicopter parenting” detrimental to raising resilient children?
- How much communication between parents and children is healthy?
- Stay-at-home parents vs. working parents
- The downside to labeling children
- Island of competence
- How can a parent handle an explosive child?
- Is spanking as a discipline technique detrimental to children?
- The importance of scheduling time to have fun with your children.
This event is open for all parents and caregivers, waiting and prospective parents, adult adoptees, professionals and students.
•Seating is limited, and pre-registration is required;
•This meeting is FREE FOR MEMBERS;
•100HKD for non-members or lapsed members (or see below to join/renew and attend this event for FREE). Payment required in advance.
•DATE: Friday, May 9, 2014
•TIME: 12.20 for a 12.30 start - 2 pm. You are welcome to bring your own lunch and beverage
•LOCATION: Central District Kai-Fong Welfare Association, 1/F, 1 Gough Street, Central. (More easily accessible from the Sheung Wan MTR - please allow enough time to walk from the station.).
•Map and Directions: click here
•RSVP: click here
For non-members or lapsed members:
Click here to join or renew your AFHK membership. Your valuable support enables us to work on behalf of all touched by adoption in Hong Kong.
In the event the Typhoon 8 or Black Rain storm signal is raised before an event begins, the event will be cancelled. Please link to the event's registration page via your email confirmation for further information. During inclement weather, the AFHK Steering Committee will monitor the situation and post any event changes to the event's registration page, as well as the AFHK Web site home page.